Announcing our Digital Diplomacy Initiative
Cross-cultural competency and global knowledge are vital requirements in today’s networked world—and essential for entrepreneurs, executives, students, and citizens alike. We’re committed to optimizing the impact of traditional forms of diplomacy and utilizing the web to educate and engage a broader, more diversified audience.
Emphasizing the increasing impact of women in international affairs and diplomacy, we’re commencing this initiative by profiling the female ambassadors and highlighting their accomplishments and diversity of nations. Please meet our 1st featured Ambassador—Her Excellency Ritva Koukku-Ronde, Finnish Ambassador to the U.S.
What we’re doing
- Expanding web resources with new tools for "digital diplomacy."
- Encouraging the adoption and usage of social media by embassies.
- Posting concise bios and photos of foreign ambassadors.
- Featuring audio file with the ambassador’s name and greeting in native language.
- Highlighting quick facts on the nation and culture, selected by the ambassador.
- Linking to official Embassy website with full contact information.
- Putting a face to diplomacy–literally–and starting with "Ladies First"!
And why we’re starting with women ambassadors
- Spotlight the increasing importance of women in global leadership roles.
- Facilitate greater awareness of women’s issues, including gender equality, empowerment and entrepreneurship.
- Eliminate cultural miscues and disconnects (e.g., mispronouncing an ambassador’s name or referencing her husband as the ambassador!).
How has the Diplomatic Landscape Changed for Foreign Women Ambassadors
Fifteen years ago, women represented only one-third of one percent of the accredited ambassadors in Washington, D.C. Ten years ago, women formed one in ten ambassadors, while today women comprise over 15% of all the foreign ambassadors.
Hoping to accelerate greater participation of future women ambassadors, we’re launching this initiative by spotlighting this distinguished group. The project also points to the accomplishments and unique backgrounds of these women leaders while enhancing the visibility of their national priorities and impactful causes.